Congratulations! We would be honoured to help you celebrate your special day. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch for further information regarding holding your wedding at St Marks.
A couple either needs to live in the parish of the church they wish to marry in or they need to be able to demonstrate a ‘Qualifying Connection’ to order to be married in a particular church. If you are currently living in Hitchin you are free to get married in any of the four churches that make up our team (St Marks, St Mary’s, Holy Saviour, and St Faith’s.). You will also qualify if you attend any of these churches on a regular basis. If neither of these apply you will need to demonstrate one of the following.
• You were baptised in the parish. (This does not apply where the baptism formed part of a combined service of baptism or confirmation); or
• you had your confirmation entered in a church register book of a church or chapel in the parish; or
• you have at any time had yourr usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months; or
• you have at any time habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least 6 months;
or a Parent of one of the couple has at any time during that person’s lifetime:
• had his or her usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months; or
• habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least 6 months;
or a Parent or Grandparent of that person was married in the parish.
The whole of Hitchin is one ‘parish’, with four churches within it. Therefore, if you are able to demonstrate a Qualifying Connection with any of the four churches above you would be able to marry in any of the four churches e.g. if you were baptised in St Mark’s, you could choose to get married at St Mary’s.
If either yourself or your partner have been married before and the marriage ended in divorce, we may well offer to marry you in church under certain circumstances. To find out more about this please contact one of the Team Vicars via the Parish Office (see below for details).
If you would like to make an enquiry about getting married in Holy Saviour, St Faith’s, St Mark’s or St Mary’s, in the first instance please contact the Parish Office (tel: 01462 452758, email: firstname.lastname@example.org). You will then be directed to an appropriate member of the clergy who will meet with you and discuss your wedding plans and any questions you may have.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions about whether you would have a Qualifying Connection or any other questions about getting married in church.